Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 42

Thread: Dara Thai

  1. #31
    Inactive Member TheBeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 24th, 2004
    Posts
    4,351
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Dara Thai

    They did get my order right and the food was excellent especially the Pad Thai and Mango/sticky rice. Although the american waitress came over and helped her, told her what we wanted, I loved how she made the comment after the other waitress left that she knew how to wait tables extremely well in Thialand.
    [COLOR="Lime"][SIZE="6"][FONT="Century Gothic"]CREAG AN TUIRC[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
    [img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a183/mm38nut/thkfc.gif[/img]

  2. #32
    Inactive Member sup-rbeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 27th, 2006
    Posts
    8,846
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Dara Thai

    Once you go into an ethnic restauraunt, you are on their turf as far as the language thing goes. They rent the space, patrons know they are going into an ethnic place, and you are not bound in any way to go there...It's not like you have went into a government office and someone tried to give you information in Thai. So, really, since they rent the place it is their place and if they want to speak whatever language they wish..it is their right, just the same as it is your right to do as you wish in your own home or any other place you may rent. After all, if the language thing bothers ya, you don't have to go.
    ...And if you ain't down with that, I got 2 words for ya....

  3. #33
    Inactive Member the_alienist's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 8th, 2006
    Posts
    597
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Dara Thai

    It amazes me how many people whine and moan about someone not speaking english, when most people butcher it far worse in their everyday speech than people who are learning it for the first time.
    Why not appreciate the fact that they are making an effort to learn a language that is VERY difficult to learn, that we take for granted on a daily basis. People who leave their home countries to come here and make a living doing jobs that most Americans would not deem themselves to work is very admirable. Seems to me, that most of our ancestors were this way when they stepped off the boat.
    Give them a chance, be patient with them. Getting angry is nothing but wasted energy, and can make your own life miserable.
    I make Machiavelli look like a weenie.

  4. #34
    Inactive Member TheBeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 24th, 2004
    Posts
    4,351
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Dara Thai

    I am not a bit angry and fully expected that there would be language problems. I wasn't complaining about the service or anything, I was adding to the argument with a few statistics.
    [COLOR="Lime"][SIZE="6"][FONT="Century Gothic"]CREAG AN TUIRC[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
    [img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a183/mm38nut/thkfc.gif[/img]

  5. #35
    Inactive Member the_alienist's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 8th, 2006
    Posts
    597
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Dara Thai

    sorry I didn't mean you in particular, just used that quick reply box! Sorry [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]
    I make Machiavelli look like a weenie.

  6. #36
    Inactive Member imported_elp6n's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2004
    Posts
    5,510
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Dara Thai

    We all know the majority (for the time being) speak english. That's just a default. "First by Majority" doesn't make it "Official by Declaration of the US government"

    My point is the United States has not declared an official language (e.g. French is the declared language in France), and attemts to do so have been shot down.

    You'll shoot your eye out.

    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/santa.jpg[/img]

  7. #37
    Inactive Member TheBeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 24th, 2004
    Posts
    4,351
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Dara Thai

    Hence the very first thing I stated:

    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The USA Federal Government can not declare an official language by federal law, since the United States is comprised of sovereign states. The official language is decided by a majority of the states whose official languages are declared; English is the first language by custom and majority.
    </div></div>
    [COLOR="Lime"][SIZE="6"][FONT="Century Gothic"]CREAG AN TUIRC[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
    [img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a183/mm38nut/thkfc.gif[/img]

  8. #38
    HB Forum Owner R0cketer's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 16th, 2002
    Posts
    7,632
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Dara Thai

    I guess I'm crazy but I think if someone goes into a country to work, they should be able to at least decently speak the language. If I go somewhere to work, I should be able to communicate effectively to survive, not expect them to adapt to me.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it.

  9. #39
    Inactive Member mm38nut's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 10th, 2006
    Posts
    279
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Dara Thai

    Weren't busy was ya? [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/whistle.gif[/img]
    [img]http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r124/bostonkisses/snapshot.jpg[/img]


    [url="http://www.thepinksquirrel.com"]http://www.thepinksquirrel.com[/url]

  10. #40
    Inactive Member NotSoSilentBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2002
    Posts
    8,067
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Dara Thai

    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheBeast</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They did get my order right and the food was excellent especially the Pad Thai and Mango/sticky rice. Although the american waitress came over and helped her, told her what we wanted, I loved how she made the comment after the other waitress left that she knew how to wait tables extremely well in Thialand. </div></div>

    I wondered how your food was...
    [IMG]http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l53/blpjr77/culpeper1.jpg[/IMG]

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •